Space Physics Data System (SPDS) Meeting at UCLA
Volume 11, Number 1, March 1995
By Bob McGuire
A meeting of the SPDS Coordination Working Group (CWG) was hosted by Project Scientist, Dr. Robert McPherron, from February 6-8, 1995, at UCLA. This was the third meeting of this group since the SPDS Rice Workshop in June 1993 and naming of CWG members in late 1993. Although operating with very limited funding, there is a growing collection of data and services under the umbrella of SPDS. Key topics discussed at the meeting include:
The next meeting of the SPDS CWG is tentatively planned for early October 1995. Access to SPDS services and data may be gained from the SPDS home page on World Wide Web (current URL
or via a no-password guest account (name SPDS) to both character and X-windows based users (connect via NSI/DECnet "set host nssdca" or via Internet "telnet nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov). These pages include a complete list of all SPDS team members with addresses, telephone and E-mail contact information.
- Progress on efforts in data restoration and improved data accessibility now being funded by the NASA Space Physics Division MO&DA program under the general heading of SPDS support.
- A shift in emphasis towards data accessibility in FY '96 efforts, with an informal call for specific ideas to be issued to the general community within the next several months.
- Policy areas to be addressed in developing a draft Discipline Data Management Plan for the Space Physics Division and general principles to apply.
- Specific issues and concerns in the current International Solar Terrestrial Physics (ISTP) draft Project Data Management Plan.
- Discussion of the appropriate role and relevant services of NSSDC to the evolving system architecture and focus of SPDS.
- Reports from each of the Discipline Coordinators on team activities and concerns, plus a report from the Project Coordinator on changes and improvements to general SPDS access via WWW since the last meeting. These reports were followed by a range of general discussions.
- Three of the four discipline teams plan meetings within the next 6 months. All teams expect to or are already working on assuming primary responsibility for discipline-specific pages on relevant services.
- All teams expect to or are already working on assuming primary responsibility for discipline-specific WWW home pages on relevant services. It was also noted that the Space Physics Division as NASA Headquarters now has a WWW home page (which has been made accessible from the SPDS WWW pages).
Key individuals in this effort are R.E. McGuire, SPDS Project Coordinator, NASA/GSFC; R.L. McPherron, SPDS Project Scientist, IGPP/UCLA; and J.B. Willett, NASA/Space Physics Division MO&DA Coordinator, USRA.
GSFC organizational page
Curators: Erin Gardner
and Miranda Beall
Responsible Official: Dr. Joseph H. King, Code 633
Last Revised: 04 Dec 1996 [EDG]